Once there are symptoms, there are many safe and natural remedies flu fighting that can help a person to feel better. Any person who has had the flu understands just how terrible it can make them feel. There are several important steps one can take in the prevention of getting a cold or the flu. There are also several natural remedies to help one recover if they do catch it. Also, these remedies will decrease the chances of it turning into something more serious such as walking pneumonia.
What Exactly Is It?
First, it is important to understand exactly what it is. The flu, also known as influenza, is a viral infection of the respiratory tract that is highly contagious. It is commonly accompanied with a cold. The possible symptoms are fever, sore throat, cough, aches, nasal congestion, and the chills. Anyone who has ever experienced having the flu understands how it can create a world of misery.
A person will be contagious 2 days before and up to 5 days after these symptoms appear. It is easy to understand how quickly it can spread from one person to another when the one who is contagious does not even know it for up to 2 days before their first symptom.
How to Prevent Spreading
Staying away from someone who is sick can be difficult, particularly in public places where people are in close proximity. It is important for one to try to create a barrier between them and the flu germs by practicing good hygiene.
Encourage someone who is sick to cover their mouth when sneezing or coughing, and wash their hands immediately after with warm water and antibacterial soap.
Another prevention method is to be sure hands are clean before eating or cooking. The flu virus can linger on any surface for up to 8 hours. Anyone touching these surfaces can contract this virus by rubbing their nose, eyes or eating with their hands.
Things We Can Do to Help Prevention
Taking care of ourselves and our bodies is a great way to prevent getting this virus. A contributing factor to catching this virus can be a weakened immune system. By ensuring the following you can keep your system strong and decrease the chances of getting sick.
1. Take Vitamin D Supplements, or be sure you get plenty of sunlight daily.
2. Take Vitamin C- This will help boost your immune system and fight off the flu and many other viruses.
3. Eat healthy. Try not to eat a lot of sugary or grainy foods. Incorporating plenty of fruits and veggies are important. Steer clear of processed foods.
4. Exercise regularly. This will boost your immune system.
5. Be sure to stay hydrated. Drink lots of water.
6. Get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep a night.
7. Try to avoid stress. This weakens our immune system making us more susceptible to getting sick.
12 Natural Remedies Flu Fighting Tips
Though one can seek professional help to ease their symptoms when they are sick, there are several healthy and natural alternatives that can fight and relieve these mild to moderate symptoms. Here are several to consider.
1. Green Tea- drinking several cups a day when sick can help speed up ridding our bodies of this awful bug and help increase our body’s natural defenses.
2. Ginger Root- add some slices in hot water to give you an extra boost and to relieve your throat from being scratchy or coughing.
3. Honey- This is proven to increase our immune system. Including this in your daily diet will help keep your system strong. When sick, add a little to your tea to help with your scratchy or sore throat. NOTE: It is recommended not to give children honey under the age of 1.
4. Lemons and Lime Juice- These are reported to decrease or work against the strength of the virus of the cold and flu. Adding honey with it can help build a resistance to the virus and speed up the recovery process. All 3 mixed make a great combination as a natural remedies flu treatment.
5. Peppermint Tea- The nutrients found in this drink are proven to ward off illness and act as a way to help a person cough up any mucous they may have. It is also a way to decrease the chills and reduce a fever.
6. Echinacea- This is a natural choice to fight off microorganisms and viruses such as the flu. It will stimulate your immune system into action to fight the virus itself. It can help heal and sooth inflamed and sore noses, lungs and throats as a natural remedies flu treatment.
7. Garlic- This contains a compound known as Allicin which boosts the immune system but is also proven as a natural remedies flu method of fighting off the nasty symptoms of the flu and cold virus.
8. Goldenseal- This has been proven to relieve the inflammation of mucous membranes and help them dry up. It will increase the immune response time and help cells fight off any virus. Please note- If you have high blood pressure, or if you are pregnant or lactating, Goldenseal should NOT be used.
When used in alteration with Echinacea, it can be used to fight off respiratory tract infections. It can be rotated or combined to be a very powerful and natural choice for dealing with infections.
9. Elderberry- This is high in antioxidants that have proven to have a strong effect of anti-inflammatory properties. This will help dry up the mucous and increase the immune system.
10. Oregano Oil- Found in this is thymol and carvacarol which will fight the growth of microorganisms. It has strong antibacterial properties that will help to fight infections. It is also a high source of an antioxidant.
11. Zinc- This plays a large part of our growth and the development of body tissue. It is required for our immune cell function to be optimal and strong. Taking Zinc can help improve our metabolic process as well.
12. Salt Water- It can be used as a natural remedies flu saline spray for the nose and for gargling for a sore or scratchy swollen throat. Mix up ¼ teaspoon of salt to one cup of warm water for the nose. For the throat use ½ teaspoon of salt to one cup of warm water. Steam from a pot of boiling water is another great way to help clear the nasal passages for easier breathing.
When one is suffering from the flu, and dealing with the symptoms that can accompany it, the above natural remedies flu treatment tips can help. It is important to include plenty of rest and fluids. Avoid ingesting dairy products because they increase the production of mucous. We hope to offer alternatives and healthy natural remedies flu options which will assist in prevention and battling of this virus.
Photo Credit: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Healthcare_g355-Woman_Blowing_Nose_p57572.html